Contra Indications to Electrolysis
Carrying out an electrolysis treatment on any person with a contra-indication will have an effect on the treatment and could potentially cause an adverse reaction. A thorough consultation will determine if a client has a contra-indication.
Electrolysis should not be done in the following conditions:
- Blood disorders e.g. hepatitis, AIDS HIV. Hepatitis and HIV are both serious viruses transported by the blood. Due to the risks of cross infection the treatment is not permitted.
- Cardiovascular disorders, circulatory disorders, anti coagulant drugs, prescribed for these conditions, interfere with the effectiveness of the treatment and can cause clotting problems.
- Diabetes - patients with Diabetes Mellitus have a poor healing rate with little sensation in their skin the symptoms can either be controlled by diet and or medication. Extra precautions like antibiotic cover is required in persons with Diabetes Mellitus.
- Electronic devices eg Pacemaker/defibrillator and auditory devices implant Pacemakers/ defibrillator are devices implanted to maintain a normal heart rate. The use of an electrical current can cause interference and the outcome could be fatal. Electrolysis (Galvanic type) is contra-indicated.
- Skin Infections like
- Viral infections e.g. Herpes Simplex or Warts in the area.
- Bacterial infections e.g. Impetigo (highly contagious) Acne Vulgaris.
- Fungal Infections e.g. Ringworm (highly contagious).
- Parasitic infections e.g. Scabies (highly contagious).
- Keloid - persons with history of Keloid formation should not undergo Electrolysis as it can lead to scarring
- Pregnancy - Electrolysis should be avoided during pregnancy
- Psoriasis (autoimmune disease) - Electrolysis may flare up psoriasis in patients having this condition.
- Other Skin conditions like : Rosacea, ezcema, dermatitis, sunburn, cuts, abrasions, recent wounds, bruising, oedema in the area to be treated or any unidentifiable skin condition
Electrolysis on the following may be restricted:
- Asthma - inhalers are normally steroid based which can have an influence on hair growth.
- Hyper/Hypo pigmentation problems.
- High blood pressure
- Age - any person under the age of 18 must have parents or guardian consent. It is strongly recommended that the parent or guardian is present for all treatments.
- Anxiety/ stress (when servere).